For each Digital Resource stored in the content repository, an MD5 checksum is generated on upload that can be used to verify that the contents of the file have not changed since it was uploaded. To verify file content on Mac OS X:
- Download the file from the View Resource page
- Open the Terminal application (from Applications/Utilities/Terminal)
- Change directory to the location of the downloaded file by typing something like the following in the Terminal:
- Use the md5 program to generate the checksum for the downloaded file:
- Compare the string of characters generated by the md5 application with the checksum displayed on the View Resource page. If they match, the file is unchanged.